Sunday, September 16, 2012

Journal Reflection #4

Stages of development v. Common Core Standards v. Curriculum Scope and Sequence v. Hierarchy of skills-which do you think is important when teaching students with a hearing loss? 
In my opinion, the most important thing to start with is the stages of development. These goals are the most in line with how a student will progress. I think that you want to take into account the common core standards and the curriculum scope and sequence; however, when first working with a student start slowly and work your way towards the more demanding goals. Working with a student who may already be delayed, I would think, a teacher needs to focus on what they need to improve on to get them developmentally appropriate. I would try to incorporate the CCS and the CSS, bit by bit, assessing how the student responds to the objectives. As the student progresses, I could incorporate more of what the students at grade level are doing until, hopefully, the student is able to mainstream with ease.

What will be your focus as the student expands and progresses in skill?  
As my student expands and progresses with the skills, I would try to mirror the pace of the mainstream class as much as possible, modifying as needed. Some students may not be able to fully mainstream, unfortunately, but I would hope to have them as close as is appropriate for that student. Statistically speaking, our students are not age appropriate in grade level, becoming stuck at a third or fourth grade reading level. I would hope to break through this "ceiling"; however, helping our students to be successful even if they have a literacy issue seems to be a deaf education staple. I will let the student's needs be my guiding compass and determine my course of action. The ultimate goal for me is to be unnecessary to the student. Having them be successful in a mainstream classroom, as is the trend, or age appropriate in a school for the deaf or private, whatever the case may be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment