Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Journal Reflection # 10


Students who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing often have difficulty socializing and making friends with their peers. How can you address this with your classroom?
The first thing that a teacher has to assess when addressing socialization of deaf and hard of hearing students is mode of communication. Do the students sign? Are they oral children? A communication barrier can be the first area needing to be addressed in your classroom. If a child signs, perhaps the mainstream classroom teacher can encourage the students to learn some signs or perhaps the deaf educator can make a point to go into the classroom and do a lesson with the students on signing. Also, encouraging the child to communicate with other classmates by saying hello or maybe encouraging them to ask questions to other students and facilitating that communication. I know that some schools have a sign club that allows the children to go after school and practice and learn signs. This is a great way to teaching deaf awareness within your school but also give the students exposure to another language. 


Communicating with parents is very important. What are some ways you can communicate with parents and is there a better way than another?
Given the amount of children we work with as opposed to other classrooms, I would think I would be more inclined to give out my cellphone number to my parents. I realize that this might extend my day into my personal time in the evening but I don't know that this can be avoided sometimes. I would also want to communicate with parents in the manner they are comfortable with be that text messaging, email, talking on the phone etc... Whatever I can do to establish and maintain that line of communication is what I will do. I would hope to have involved and active parents that are just as willing to work to make the student as successful as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment