Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Reflection Journal # 9


If you have a student who is having trouble paying attention in class, what are some strategies you can use to help the student attend?

Having trouble attending in class is something that I have a problem with too. One of the strategies that I respond to is what a teacher does before they start a lesson. If you don't hook a student right from the start you have almost no chance of holding their attention through out. One example is to use a little exercise or movement. Give the students a few minutes to do jumping jacks or stretches or dancing will up there energy levels and get their blood moving. This could help them be reenergized for the lessons to come. Another way is to tell stories to really get the student engaged then lead it into the lesson seamlessly. One of my favorite things is to peak a students interest. That can be accomplished by promising if the students work hard through the first couple of steps that the teacher will show them something really cool.  If the student gets visually distracted, it may be good to limit the distractions on the board or in the powerpoint etc... taking things off the students desk or limiting materials might be helpful as well. Incorporating music during journaling or writing time always helped me and could be effective for some students; however, it could be distracting for our students with a hearing loss. 

Positive Behavior Supports (PBS) is a program that some districts or schools implement. Complete a mini-research regarding the program. Do you think this is a beneficial program? Why or why not?

The positive behavioral supports system seems like a great idea. Is a school wide system put in place to catch students and facility doing something good and positive as opposed to catching students breaking the rules. Its meant as a positive reinforcement as opposed to a negative. I would hope that there will be a positive behavioral support  in the school that I work at because I think it reminds us to focus on the positive aspects of all students and not the negative. I saw a positive behavioral support at KSD when I went called PRIDE, each letter stood for an action P-preparedness  R- respect and so on. I loved the concept and how their charts gave examples of ways to show each concept. 

No comments:

Post a Comment