Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Reflection journal #6

Research the CAEBER (center for ASL/English Bilingual Education and Research). How would you incorporate some of these techniques into your classroom. 
One of the things I like best about CAEBER is the inclusion of deaf studies into the classroom. I always want to promote successful deaf individuals to my students to show through hard work, you can accomplish your goals. Also, I want my students to know the history of deaf and hard of hearing individuals and their struggles and accomplishments. I want to use their ideas of professional development to keep current on statistics and data to better teach my students. I think that we are gaining better knowledge of how to educate D/HH students and also technology to help our students be successful in life. I know that sometimes we are the only deaf educators in the district. If I were in a school where their was more than one deaf educator, I would hope to incorporate the planning committee and keep a consistency for our students. I know the communication modality the student uses is whatever works best for them; however, I would hope to be able to teach them about ASL and sign and would be knowledgeable enough to know what sign systems will work best for the student,  if any. Incorporating cultural and more than one language is hard, but if you start young, I believe, it can be achieved and beneficial to the students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment