The authors noted the lag in development of mathematics concepts is due to delays in language development, lack of exposure to life-based problem solving, and inadequate preservice teacher preparation in the area of mathematics. Do you agree or disagree? explain your answer.
I do agree with the authors statement about the lag being attributed all the areas mentioned. A language barrier is something that has to be addressed before teaching the math content. Math is very vocabulary based whether working on word problems or otherwise. Early math can be supported with manipulatives and visual representation. That will be a lot harder as the math concepts become more abstract. A strong language base is needed for not only deaf children, but hearing children as well. Another area of need mentioned was a lack of exposure to life-based problem solving which is often a problem with deaf and hard of hearing children. When children have to be directly taught, as opposed to gaining knowledge incidentally, sometimes it is easier to do things for them watch them struggle and become frustrated. Our job as teachers is to help develop those problem solving skills by giving them opportunities to use and improve those skills. I do agree that the training for teachers of the deaf and hard of hearing lacks content based instruction and that we have to be resourceful to learn subjects on our own. This sometimes can lead to a lack of preparedness on the part of the teacher. I believe, as teachers we have to accept that we are not strong in all areas and to reach out to others to help us with difficult subjects. This could mean working with the regular education teachers to get a better grasp of the content then modifying it for our students.
What areas do you feel need you need to develop to teach math?
The first thing I need to do is to develop a better knowledge of math sign language. That will be a must. Also, I feel I need a better understanding of how to teach both concrete math concepts and also the more abstract. Math is a daunting subject to teach in general, but add in a language delay abstract thinking and it can be overwhelming. I am a little nervous about this subject and will be seeking out a lot of outside development to build my confidence to teach this subject.
No comments:
Post a Comment