Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Reflection Journal # 8

What are some ways you can teach vocabulary presented within science and social studies?

There are many ways to teach the vocabulary of science and social studies. I remember copying the definitions from the glossary, that is not everyone's favorite but it works for some. You can show videos or look at pictures that help represent the concepts being taught. For sign language users, many science words and social studies words are only fingerspelled. This can take away from the sign context clues that may help the student remember the vocabulary word or give a hint to its meaning. Pictures or flowcharts or hands on presentations of a concept or word are always the best but sometimes there isn't any available.  I like the idea of having like a matching game in class to help review the vocabulary. I think games that are fun help solidify learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment